Are you looking to sell books for cash and wondering where to start?
Discover the best places to sell used books in Toronto and across Canada. From finding the perfect platform to sell your textbooks to mastering selling books on Amazon Canada, we’ve got you covered.
This guide covers the best places to sell used books near you to maximize your earnings. It is time to declutter, connect with new readers, and tap into a booming market.
- Consider market trends, book condition, and competition when pricing used books.
- Top platforms to sell books for cash in Canada include Bookpower, Abebooks, Bookscouter, Amazon, eBay, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist etc.
- Selling books online offers extensive reach, convenience, reduced overhead costs, low-cost marketing, and passive income opportunities.
- Be aware of competition, shipping logistics, book condition issues, and marketplace fees when selling books online.
Sell used books in Canada with these steps:
- Gather your inventory: Search collections and storage for books to sell.
- Assess book condition: Sort and price books accordingly.
- Research prices: Determine market value on online platforms.
- Choose the right platform: Use Bookpower, Abebooks, or Amazon.
- Create a compelling listing: Write descriptions, use quality photos, and highlight unique features.
- Set your price: Balance profitability and buyer attraction.
- Provide excellent service: Respond promptly, address concerns, and ensure safe packaging and shipping.
When selling used books, finding the right price is crucial.
Consider market trends, book condition, scarcity, author reputation, edition or year of publication, competition, and transparent listings. This is to strike a balance between profitability and attracting buyers.
Stay informed about demand and pricing, check book condition, and factor in rarity and author popularity. Then, analyze market competition and adjust pricing.
Finally, be transparent in your listings to provide clear information to potential buyers.
Features: Bookpower offers a simple and user-friendly book-selling platform.
Selling Process: Operates as a textbook buyback scheme. It doesn’t allow you to sell directly to individual buyers.
Pros: Book Power is partnered with the Canadian School Book Exchange, which helps to ensure that the textbooks you trade in are genuine and in good shape.
Cons: Unlike other online platforms, you won’t get paid right away. You’ll have to wait until your books are sold to get paid.
Features: Amazon remains one of the top online platforms for selling textbooks in Canada. It offers a huge variety of books from all over the world.
Selling Process: You need to open a seller plan among one of two options: an Individual or Professional plan. Choose a fulfillment method, then list your products. Finally, enroll in Brand Registry before launching your product.
Pros: You can use your existing account to sell textbooks on Amazon without creating a separate seller account once you have registered for a seller plan.
Cons: In addition to program costs, Amazon also charges a referral fee for each item sold. For books, the fee is 15% plus a $1.80 closing fee.
Features: Initially, its purpose was to help sell textbooks at the best prices. But now the platform has integrated with more than 30 suppliers, helping to find the best deals on buying and selling used books.
Selling Process: Instead of just posting listings and waiting for someone to buy something, BookScouter searches its database of 30+ suppliers to find the best deals. They help you connect with vendors looking to buy the specific textbook you’re selling.
Pros: You can ensure that you’re getting the most money from your sale by having the ability to compare prices.
Cons: There’s no assurance that you’ll be able to sell your book just because you have one. BookScouter won’t be able to match you with a buyer if no one wants to purchase the book.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest personal finance news, offers, and our weekly newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Features: eBay is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for buying, selling, and auctioning used and new textbooks. Anyone can create an account, sell their textbooks, and have them shipped to first-time buyers.
Selling process: Create a seller account and list your books. You can sell your books in bulk or offer them as individual listings. It offers several shipping and payment options to make managing your sales easier.
Pros: It offers an easy-to-use platform. Also, it has lower seller fees and can use auctions to optimize profits.
Cons: Less consumer trust and lower web traffic than Amazon.
Features: Abebooks is an online marketplace where you can sell used books. Sort of like Amazon if it only concentrated on books.
Selling Process: For textbooks, you can choose to sell them using two different methods:
- List textbooks for sale
- Get paid faster with one of AbeBooks’ textbook buyback partners
Pros: The platform is a great resource for finding rare books, autographed titles, quality textbooks, and affordable used titles.
Cons: Abebooks charges a subscription fee of $25 per month and 8% commission on each sale.
Features: Similar to Craiglist, Kijiji is basically a giant classifieds site with over 100 local sites across Canada. What sets it apart is that it’s completely free to sign up, and anyone can post an ad.
Selling process: You have to create an account and post your ad. Buyers can send in their offers directly via the built-in message box.
Pros: You don’t have to worry about shipping costs as transactions are mostly in-person. Plus, buyers are able to examine the items before finalizing the deal.
Cons: There’s a limit to the number of free ads you can post. And since sellers and buyers enjoy relative anonymity, safety is sometimes compromised.
7. Facebook Marketplace
Features: Canadians are statistically among the most active Facebook users in the world. This means Facebook Marketplace is one of the best options for selling textbooks in Canada.
Selling process: All you have to do is create a listing, upload a picture of the textbook, write a short description of the textbook, and set the price.
Pros: Access to a large user base, an easy-to-use interface, and a built-in correspondence tool for sellers and buyers.
Cons: Consumers may become confused by the numerous product categories because it is not a vertical marketplace tailored to a certain niche.
Features: Craigslist is a classifieds site—similar to a newspaper’s classifieds section. You can select your city so that you only see ads in your area.
Selling process: After posting an ad on the platform, wait for an offer via phone or email. Sellers can either choose to ship the item or transact in person.
Pros: Posting an ad on the platform is free. Plus, you don’t need an account to do it.
Cons: The site’s interface is too basic. And, since Craigslist only acts as a link between sellers and buyers, it doesn’t offer you the safety that most online shopping sites can.
Feature: Second Bind is an online reseller of used textbooks. Its primary goal is to save and plant as many trees as possible while giving you the opportunity to turn unwanted textbooks into profit
It also has Android and iOS apps, so you can sell your textbooks on your phone.
- Scan and upload your textbook ISBN number
- Get a Textbook Quote
- Send your textbooks to Second Bind (shipping included)
- Get paid
Pros: Instead of making you wait for buyers to submit their bids, the platform gives you upfront rates on your books. This makes selling books simple and convenient.
Cons: You are more likely to make more money selling your book to private buyers.
Feature: Bookseeker is one of the newer textbook buyback programs in Canada. The platform is similar to Textbook Smart and Second Bind.
Selling process: Upload the ISBN number of your used textbook to get a quote. Your bid will be blocked for 7 days, giving you time to find a better bid on another platform.
Once you accept the quote, Bookseeker will shoulder your shipping costs.
Pros: It makes it easy to sell your textbooks, so you don’t have to deal with unsure buyers or negotiate prices.
Cons: You are likely to make more money selling your book to private buyers.
Features: It claims to be the largest used book broker in the world.It has locations in North America (the US and Canada).
Selling process: SellMyTextbooks.org buys books directly from you and then sells them to the market. They also have walk-in locations to sell your books.
Pros: You might get a bit more for your textbooks as against selling them to most bookstores. According to their website, they are willing to pay up to 50 percent of the current retail price
Cons: As with Bookseeker, you can make more money selling your book to private buyers.
Features: Bookbyte provides college students with options for buying and renting books. They also strive to offer the highest buyback prices.
Selling process: Enter your book’s ISBN, search, and accept the offered price. Choose a payment method and provide contact and shipping details to finalize the sale.
Pros: An easy selling process and a wide variety of books and titles are supported.
Cons: Several complaints claim Bookbyte refuses to pay for items that are inauthentic, not delivered, or damaged.
Sell your books on Amazon Canada with these steps:
- Create an Amazon Seller Account and provide the necessary details.
- Set up detailed book listings with title, author, condition, and price.
- Manage inventory, update stock levels, and fulfill orders promptly.
- Optimize listings with strategic keywords and compelling descriptions.
- Respond to customer inquiries, process orders efficiently, and provide quality service.
- Choose between self-fulfillment or Amazon’s FBA for shipping convenience.
- Monitor sales performance, analyze data, and adjust your strategy for maximum profits.
Enhance your online book sales with these tips:
- Optimize listings: Use catchy titles, relevant keywords, and quality images.
- Price competitively: Research market trends for optimal pricing.
- Highlight unique features: Showcase autographs or rare editions.
- Provide accurate descriptions: Include condition and edition details.
- Offer attractive shipping: Fast and affordable options.
- Leverage social media: Promote listings on platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
- Seek positive reviews: Encourage feedback to build credibility.
- Provide excellent customer service: Respond promptly and professionally to inquiries and issues.
Consider the pros and cons of selling books online:
- Extensive customer reach, expanding your potential base.
- Convenient and flexible, allowing you to set your own schedule.
- Reduced overhead costs associated with physical stores.
- Low-cost marketing through online channels.
- Inventory management tools for streamlined operations.
- Passive income as books are available 24/7.
- Competitive market with numerous sellers.
- Time-consuming shipping logistics.
- Potential disputes or returns due to book condition.
- Online marketplace fees affect profit margins.
Selling books online is definitely worth it, and here’s why:
First, it opens up a huge market for you to reach book lovers from all over Canada. You can do everything from the comfort of your own home because there’s no need for a physical store.
Online platforms give you the freedom to set competitive prices and engage with a wide audience. Plus, the ability to ship books directly to customers enables you to provide a seamless shopping experience for customers.
Lastly, by selling books online, you can easily track sales, analyze market trends, and adjust strategies to maximize profits.
How can you sell e-books on Amazon in Canada?
To sell eBooks on Amazon Canada, you can use Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) to self-publish your eBooks and list them for sale on the Amazon.ca marketplace. It’s an easy-to-use platform that provides the tools to format, price, and market your eBooks to Canadian readers.
What is similar to Book Outlet in Canada?
In Canada, Better World Books is similar to Book Outlet, which offers a wide range of discounted books with free shipping to Canadian addresses. With its extensive catalogue and affordable prices, it is a popular choice for Canadian book lovers on a budget.
What is Canada’s largest bookstore?
Indigo Books & Music is recognized as Canada’s largest bookstore, with locations across the country and online. Known for its extensive selection of books, lifestyle products, and gifts, Indigo offers Canada’s book lovers a complete shopping experience.
Is Book Outlet a Canadian company?
Yes, BookOutlet is a Canadian company based in Ontario. It specializes in discounted books with international shipping options. Based in Thorold, Ontario, BookOutlet has grown to become a trusted source for cheap books in Canada and around the world.